Cultural Responsiveness Strategy
The Culturally Responsive Palliative Care Community Education Project was commenced in partnership with the Ethnic Communities’ Council of Victoria in 2013-2015 and with the Multicultural Centre for Women’s Health in 2013-2014.
This involved community engagement and peer education to raise awareness of, and access to, palliative care services. We focused on ten larger communities: Chinese, Maltese, Italian, Turkish and Vietnamese during 2013-15 and the Greek, Macedonian, Polish, Croatian and Arabic-speaking background communities in 2014-15.
Since then, the project has expanded to include the Dutch, Jewish (Hebrew and Yiddish), Indian (Hindi), Karen, Serbian and Spanish communities.
- Community education sessions about palliative care – 5,516 people from 15 CALD communities have participated in 186 community education sessions in community languages delivered by trained bi-lingual health educators
- Media and communications activities helped to raise awareness of palliative care more broadly among the 15 CALD communities
- Cultural responsiveness education for palliative care services – 31 4-hour workshops have been attended by 491palliative care staff and volunteers.
The evidence base for the Strategy includes:
High quality resources developed with the relevant communities have utility beyond the project, including:
- A peer education resource that is tailored to include specific information about culturally sensitive issues
- Bilingual information leaflets about palliative care – these are available in 17 languages on our website here and in hard copy
- MP3 files with information about palliative care in 17 languages – these are available here on our website
- A communications toolkit for use by community organisations
- Training handbooks and a video clip used for the culturally responsive education program for the palliative care sector
- Cultural Perspectives and Values from Ten CALD Communities – these guides were prepared for the first ten communities in the project in 2013-15. They are available here on our website.
Palliative Care Victoria is continuing to work with the CALD and palliative care sectors to strengthen access to culturally responsive palliative care services. This work includes support for CALD community organisations as they provide advice about palliative care and referrals to their communities, bilingual information sessions about palliative care, and cultural responsiveness training for palliative care staff and volunteers.
These include a short summary and the executive summary of the evaluation. The full evaluation is available on request.
Project activities included community engagement & peer education to raise awareness of palliative care services among 10 CALD communities and education to cultural responsiveness education for the palliative care sector in Victoria.View File
Executive evaluation report of the Culturally Responsive Palliative Care Strategy 2013-2015 in Victoria implemented by Palliative Care Victoria and the Ethnic Communities’ Council of Victoria.View File
Appreciation & further information
We wish to thank the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation, the Victorian Government, Perpetual (formerly the Trust Company), Gandel Philanthropy and The Ian Potter Foundation for their financial support of this work.
If you have any questions regarding this project please contact:
Mike Kennedy, Projects Manager
T 03 9662 9644