Join the Taking Time to Talk campaign and celebrate with Palliative Care Victoria, 40 years of service to Victorians with a life-limiting illness
You are invited to get together with work colleagues, family or friends to enjoy a cuppa and talk about how living well matters to you.
What is Taking Time to Talk about?
A recent survey, commissioned by Palliative Care Victoria, has shown whilst most Victorians agree it is important to talk openly about death and dying, in reality people rarely do. The survey revealed that almost half of Victorians had never, or rarely spoken about these matters with their friends and family over the past 12 months.
This data shows the need for more open conversations and greater education around topics like death, grief and palliative care within the community.
To assist Victorians to have these conversations Palliative Care Victoria has compiled free resources, available to download below. It is hoped the Taking Time to Talk resources will help Victorians navigate these difficult discussions and in turn, increase awareness and understanding about palliative and end of life care so that they can make informed choices.
Topics and potential speakers
Below is a list of topics for discussion at your event or you may wish to invite a speaker. This list is by no means exhaustive.
- Advance Care Planning (or Farewell Wishes).
- Writing a will.
- Palliative care. How it can help and how to access.
- Palliative Care and cultural diversity.
- Talking about death and dying. How to have the conversation.
- How can I support someone who is dying and their family?.
- Palliative care volunteering
Register your event
Registering your event enables you to request resources and giveaways. You can also seek assistance with identifying a speaker on one of the suggested topics for your event.
To register your event please click here
The campaign resources below provide useful information and links to further resources on particular topics and can assist with discussion at your Taking Time to Talk event (click on link below).
- Advance Care Planning
- Becoming a palliative care volunteer
- How to help carers of someone who is dying
- Grief and loss
- Talking about death and dying, how to have the conversation
- About palliative care and how to access it
- Palliative care and aged care
- Palliative care and cultural or gender diversity
- Supporting an Aboriginal person with a life-limiting illness
- Palliative care and children
Event Hosting Resources
The below resources have been created to help anyone hosting an event (click on link or relevant image below)